Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seekind advice - small online business startup

Seekind advice - small online business startup 12 years 9 months ago #1264

• Carina
  • MSB Junior Member
Hi all,

I'm looking to start my own small online business. It will basically involve marketing of dominating market-products as well as products more related to my personal interests and what I'm passionate about.

I've had some success when I previously attempted this, but I realise I need some advice on how to make this a succesful and lasting enterprise. As I work full-time and looking to supplement my salary (hopefully expanding the business to such an extent that it may replace my current salary or a large part thereof)it will have to be after-hours that I give my attention to it - hence the decision to start online.

I plan to use my spare time over weekends to do some active marketing in the Pta area as well, I realise this might be necessary to improve exposure and I have a few ideas to help this issue.

Is there any further advice you can give to help me give this a good start? I also have to start this venture using my own salary, so some advice in this regard will also be appreciated.

Thanks guys!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Seekind advice - small online business startup 12 years 9 months ago #1266

• Ethan
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I know you stressed for time but I would suggest to take a look at the book Rework by a company called 37signals. The book is basically a business book but they talk about the unconventional methods they used to make their million dollar company.

Exclusive book sell the ebook for R103 tinyurl.com/3cpbbqy
www.designjubilation.com - Web design and development.
www.pixelbright.co.za - Advice and tips for any web site owner.
Last Edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Ethan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carina

Re: Seekind advice - small online business startup 12 years 9 months ago #1267

• Carina
  • MSB Junior Member
Thanks Ethan! Will definitely have a look :cheer:

Re: Seekind advice - small online business startup 12 years 9 months ago #1268

• Carina
  • MSB Junior Member
Ethan, have you read it and if you have, are you implementing the ideas? Is it working for you?

Re: Seekind advice - small online business startup 12 years 9 months ago #1269

• Ethan
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm about half way. I'm finishing my matric now and will only really start to use their business advice next year.

Their points are valid though. They speak about how decisions need to be done fast. Time should not be wasted with meetings. They also talk about how they sell less and earn more because the little they do sell is top quality. Cutting out all the unnecessary things. Creating 1 great product over 5 okish products is better. There is simply to many good points to talk about.

I just opened it up and pulled out these few lines.

"When good enough gets the job done, go for it. It's way better than wasting resources or, even worse, doing nothing because you can't afford the complex solution. And remember, you can usually turn good enough into great later."

Like I said already they sort of focus on the important stuff and skip over the extra stuff that to be honest just wastes time.

From the book.

"When you don't know what you believe, everything becomes an argument. Everything is debatable. But when you stand for something, decisions are obvious.

For example, Whole Foods stands for selling the highest quality natural and organic products available. They don't waste time deciding over and over again what's appropriate. No one asks, "Should we sell this product that has artificial flavors?" There's no debate. The answer is clear. That's why you can't buy a Coke or a Snickers there."
www.designjubilation.com - Web design and development.
www.pixelbright.co.za - Advice and tips for any web site owner.

Re: Seekind advice - small online business startup 12 years 9 months ago #1270

• Carina
  • MSB Junior Member
Thanks a mil Ethan, I think I'll get that book asap - maybe I can learn from it. :)

Re: Seekind advice - small online business startup 12 years 8 months ago #1676

• Christo
  • MSB Junior Member
  • Thank you received: 2
While we are recommending books - how about Tim Ferris' 4 Hour Work Week?

I'm also about halfway thru & he's got some interesting advice to say the least!

While most of it is not new:

- Focus on multiplying your few strengths instead of mitigating all weaknesses

- Doing less to achieve more, etc, etc...

He does present it in a 5 (or so) step plan that will change your business and / or even your life!

I'm also in the process of starting up an online business - so the usual advice everybody gives:

- Get the best looking website you can without breaking the bank
- embrace social - FB, twitter Google+
- don't forget your e-mail mailing list - and ask friends that know you to recommend your business to their friends.
- I don't know about this whole group buying thing - it feels like another fad at best or a bubble waiting to burst at worst!
- There's still a time and place for offline advertising, even in this internet age...

And most important of all - I like your 1st paragraph - you say: "as well as products more related to my personal interests and what I'm passionate about." If you don't have a passion for the products and business, and/or can't personally recommend the products, then you might as well close up shop...
Last Edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Christo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trevayne van Niekerk, Carina

Re: Seekind advice - small online business startup 12 years 8 months ago #1704

• Carina
  • MSB Junior Member
Thanks Christo! Will take a look at that book as well - seems a good thing to read up as much as possible. And yes! - I feel it's important having a passion for your products so to speak - otherwise you will not make an effort promoting or researching them. I'm glad you agree on that. Thanks for the good advice :)

Re: Seekind advice - small online business startup 12 years 5 months ago #1965

• curt
  • MSB Junior Member
Hi Carina
Online success is not so simple just because online world is a virtual world and some times its very difficult to analyze better place to advertise your business.key Points for your online success.
1)Search Proven online Market place.
You have to find proven online market for your products because most of online places gives you traffic but few gives you sales.
Tell me about your products and I will tell you best places to advertise.
2)Marketing Methods
There are many marketing methods, some of them will provide you real time results and few will provide you long term results.Use the combination of both instant sales as well as long term benefits.
(a)Short term but instant methods
Place your ads on relevant sites where lot of related traffic visits daily but it could be costly as well.I do not think that salaried persons could afford.
(b)Long term methods
No doubt only SEO is a long term and continuous method with long term results as well as absolutely free of cost.

Re: Seekind advice - small online business startup 12 years 5 months ago #2033

• Carl Muller
  • MSB Junior Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Start selling your products in the markets around Pretoria. There is the early boeremark (5 to 9) in Silverton and therafter in Menlopark behind the Performer that start at 9 till 3 o'clock.
Test it there, if it works you will go bigger.
  • Page:

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds