Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Entrepreneur education

Re: Entrepreneur education 13 years 2 months ago #755

• Colleen Lewis
  • MSB Junior Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Excellent. This reminds me that I have money in my credit card right now, so I'm going to order it right away!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Entrepreneur education 13 years 2 months ago #756

• Bev Moodie
  • MSB Junior Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Colleen - that's great. I was told by the guys and gals on my workshop yesterday that the process 'lit the spark (candle) inside them' which I think is what the spirit of entrepreneurship is all about. It's not just the business information, which we can actually obtain anywhere, but how to light our candle, so we have the confidence to do it. So go girl. Always here to help.

Re: Entrepreneur education 13 years 2 months ago #762

• Melanie
  • MSB Junior Member
Dear Colleen,

There is a lot of talk in the marketplace about such "think tanks" at the moment. It seems as if everybody is moving in the same direction. I am going to one of these "think tank" meetings next week and will let you know the outcome.

I get very frustrated in the social entrepreneurship space because everybody seems to be doing the same work over and over again. A shared knowledge base could really help to fast-track the process.

There is a World Conference on Social Entrepreneurship happening in SA this year. Shall I send the info to your mailbox?

Kind regards
Melanie

Re: Entrepreneur education 13 years 2 months ago #763

• Dylan Phelan
  • Founder of mySmallBusiness.co.za
  • Thank you received: 48
Hi Colleen / Melanie

pls send me any info that you think would be of value to our members. I could share it in a newsletter.
http://www.MSBonline.co.za - Web design, hosting, internet marketing & CRM
http://www.MSBaccounting.co.za - Pastel accounting & bookkeeping services.
http://www.ecohub.co.za - Natural health & wellness
Last Edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Dylan Phelan.

Re: Entrepreneur education 13 years 2 months ago #764

• Bev Moodie
  • MSB Junior Member
Hi Melanie - As a practicing social entrepreneurs (Ashoka Fellow) I couldn't agree with you more. There is so much good stuff that could be rolled out. I've found that seed capital is more accessible than roll out capital (or what we call 2nd level funding) and perhaps that's the problem. It's that good old fashion 'risk' factor and I think the lack of clarity of what social entrepreneur is - it's not hard core business, and it's not entirely "soft-fuzzy" social. Not many truly understand what social business really entails - or perhaps the world isn't ready?? A good topic to explore methinks?

Re: Entrepreneur education 13 years 2 months ago #766

• Melanie
  • MSB Junior Member
Dear Bev,

The World Conference on Social Enterprises is happening in SA this year. If you send me your direct e-mail I will forward the invite on to you.

I think the world is ripe and we are riding on the front edge of the wave.

Visit www.unreasonableinstitute.org

Cyberspace is opening up possibilities that did not exist before.

Now it is time for those who know more about it to share what they know with those who do not. The movement is definitely growing.

I do not believe that the solution to every problem is funding. I know that it is more of a challenge, but building sustainable businesses based on solid business principles can do the same work. Everybody is looking for a quick fix and they are not prepared to do the work to get there. The sense of entitlement and "hand-out" mentality needs to shift. When people are prepared to do the work, we will all get there.

For me there is magic in making something out of nothing, which can turn life into a magical experience for those whose lives it improves. They have a far stronger sense of self-worth and confidence when they are done than somebody who has relied on outside funding to get them there. This solves the challenge at the root instead of treating the symptoms.

It is a tougher road, and the effects are more lasting.

Many people who receive funding may lose it through bad management or plain bad luck. Then they have to live with the guilt afterwards which further erodes their sense of being in control of their own future.

I do not believe that better funding structures will save us. I believe that hard work and learning will do a better job.

Where are you based Bev? I would love to meet with you face to face and hear more about your experiences.

Kind regards
Melanie

Re: Entrepreneur education 13 years 2 months ago #767

• Bev Moodie
  • MSB Junior Member
Hi Melanie

You are quite right on all issues, especially the culture of dependency that needs shifting. It's happening slowly.

Thanks, I have details of the Social Entrepreneurial Workshop as I attended it last year and presented a paper.

The challenge in the social entrepreneurial world is that social entrepreneurs generally work in poor communities and/or develop solutions which require capital, but they are not profit driven and raising capital or funds (to sponsor beneficiaries or cover development costs, as any business has to do) becomes a non-profit issue, hence raising funds. A really tough process, requiring a shift in thinking especially if you are an entrepreneur, who thinks out of the box and hates boxes.

I'm based in the George area (known as S.E Cape), but travel to Cape Town and Jozi from time to time and would love to connect whenever.

We can chat on-line if you like through my face-book page or skype - bev.moodie (skype address) and I'd love to connect, as I have many years experiences developing the entrepreneurial culture in many different communities and environments.. so both the social part and the entrepreneurial part are deeply engrained. Of the two, I love entrepreneurship - it has no boundaries and no specific entry requirements, just great ideas, enthusiasm, focus and energy.

Take care and regards

Re: Entrepreneur education 13 years 2 months ago #768

• Melanie
  • MSB Junior Member
Dear Bev,

Let me know when you are in Johannesburg next. I would LOVE to meet you face to face.

Melanie

Re: Entrepreneur education 13 years 2 months ago #769

• Bev Moodie
  • MSB Junior Member
Would be good to meet you too - so cool cucumber - will do.

Regards

Re: Entrepreneur education 13 years 4 weeks ago #847

• Colleen Lewis
  • MSB Junior Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Bev
Weeks, months later! I have finally ordered Entrepreneurship Made Easy online. All sorts of obstacles have got in the way, and my BizStart venture had to go on hold whilst I went back to doing freelance work to earn some more money. But almost back on track again, and looking forward to reading your book. Hope your year is going well.
Kind regards
Colleen

Time to create page: 0.305 seconds