Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Interest charged for services and what i can do about not getting paid

Interest charged for services and what i can do about not getting paid 11 years 9 months ago #2778

HI There

I have a problem with a client not paying me. I have worked for this client, on a type of permanent basis, from Nov 2011 to about April or May 2012. This is when the company let me, and other employees, go due to not being able to afford the salaries. At that point they still owed me 3 months salary. I have, since then, started a web development company. The company I was working for, then come back to use my services as part of my company, as they cannot find anyone else as good as me, with a promise of a weekly payment as they are still not able to pay me on a permanent basis. They have made small payments towards the salary they owe me, but are still R3000 overdue. They also now owe me payment for the work I have done through my company for them.

On my first weekly invoice to them, I stated that i was going to charge a 5% interest on all outstanding/overdue amounts commencing from my next invoice. With the next invoice I sent, I charged a 5% interest on the total outstanding and they are now telling me that i am not allowed to do so in terms of the national credit act. As i do not know much about this type of thing, I wanted to know if I am allowed to charge interest. Will it be statutory interest or contractual interest. There is also not a written contract, but a verbal agreement. The other thing is that my company is not registered as a business or for VAT as yet. Can I charge interest on every weekly invoice or is interest charged monthly?

The other thing is that I own the rights to their domain names and websites as they are registered on my name. I was thinking of putting their sites offline till payments are received, but if I do this they will not get paid and will risk losing their business as it depends on the sites being online. That will then mean that i will not get any of my money out of them. What should I do?

Thanks
Shaun Van der Poll
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds