Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why do people "Like" Facebook pages

Why do people "Like" Facebook pages 10 years 11 months ago #3541

• Steven
  • MSB Junior Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Dylan posted a response to a topic (Does your business have a Facebook page) where he points out the reasons why people "Like" Facebook pages (Thanks Dylan!). The survey was done by ExactTarget and the answers were quite interesting. According to them, the main reason why people like these pages is to receive discounts and promotions. (See soshable.com/liking-facebook-pages/)
I decided to do my own survey to get a response from South African Facebook users. Based on similar criteria used by ExactTarget, the responses were quite different.

You can find the result here

The results are interesting and should assist you when posting content on your Facebook page.
Small business development consultant and owner of 2 small businesses
Web: www.smallbusinessdevelopment.co.za
FB Page: www.facebook.com/smallbusinessdevelopmentonline
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Why do people "Like" Facebook pages 10 years 11 months ago #3542

• Dylan Phelan
  • Founder of mySmallBusiness.co.za
  • Thank you received: 48
I don't agree that most people like FB pages to get discounts etc..

Do you have any info on how many users participated in that survey?

And yours?
http://www.MSBonline.co.za - Web design, hosting, internet marketing & CRM
http://www.MSBaccounting.co.za - Pastel accounting & bookkeeping services.
http://www.ecohub.co.za - Natural health & wellness

Why do people "Like" Facebook pages 10 years 11 months ago #3543

• Steven
  • MSB Junior Member
No idea how many participated in the ExactTarget survey. Mine was completed by my Facebook followers, a few hundred people over 3 days. Not thousands but it gives some idea of what people are thinking when they like a Facebook page.
I have to agree with you that discounts and promotions can't be the top reason.

Why do people "Like" Facebook pages 10 years 8 months ago #3668

• Apryl
  • MSB Junior Member
I have to agree that there are quite a lot of people "Like" a facebook page for discounts and some free stuff. For instance, you are giving away a product and one of the requirements to enter the giveaway is to Like your FB page, entrants will, of course, Like your page. And this is a good marketing strategy that would spike up the number of your followers,

Though, I believe that at some point, these types of followers will eventually un-like the page and the ones that would remain are the loyal ones who wanted to stay informed and are really interested to get updates about your company/products.

But people do Like FB pages for discounts and promotions.

Why do people "Like" Facebook pages 10 years 8 months ago #3670

• Steven
  • MSB Junior Member
Social media is now widely used by businesses to market and promote their goods and/or services. It's a relatively inexpensive way to spread the word, so to speak, so using promotions and discounts as a tool to gain a following is an effective marketing strategy. A lot of businesses encourage people to "Like" and "Share" their pages in order to qualify for a discount, win a prize etc. I do agree that a percentage will at some stage unlike the page but the nett effect is usually a larger following.
Encouraging the followers who are genuinely interested in your page to stay is the key. You need to engage them with relevant and interesting content regularly (as was shown in my survey to be the main reason why people "Like " pages). You are trying to grow your business so this is probably common sense but it is the quality of your content that will keep people interested and get them talking.
EpicMealTime is a great example of how to engage with your followers with interesting and relevant content. They have almost 1million followers and this in only 3 years..

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds