Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: SEO - The importance of linking?

SEO - The importance of linking? 12 years 4 months ago #2073

• Klement
  • MSB Junior Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey guys,

I'm new to MySmallBusiness.com and would love to share my first thought.

I recently started investigating website SEO optimization. It seems like the ranking systems change regularly and it's really difficult to keep up with the latest rules, regulations and ethics of SEO.

What I'm wondering, it seems like current practice is mostly based on the amount of back linking a site gets. As far as I understand this is website sharing a link to your site on their website. Does this still apply today and what is the best way to utilize this technique, is it still relevant today?

In my spare time as a hobby I help out with some smaller websites, one of the main sites I help out is Avbob. Although the site has major competition and its less than a year old it already reached the number 2 spot on Google on certain keywords without the use of any adwords. I would love to be able to improve this ranking to become more consistent, I am in no way an expert on this, still have tons to learn...

Any advice on the above matter will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks so much!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Empexus

Re: SEO - The importance of linking? 12 years 4 months ago #2074

• Shelley Finch
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Google recently changed it's algorithm to place greater emphasis on sites with more recent/fresher content so that certainly comes into play.

searchengineland.com/google-search-algor...35-of-searches-99856

Back linking is definitely an important part of getting better ranking, but links must be RELEVANT or Google will most likely penalize you.

I find that the most up to date information on SEO can be found on www.searchenginewatch.com.

Good luck! :)

Re: SEO - The importance of linking? 12 years 1 month ago #2268

• Jovana
  • MSB Junior Member
Linking and building your backlinks naturally can be a pain in the ass for business owners. I have so many clients who literally want to pull out their hair when they come to me with their SEO problems.

I seriously suggest finding a professional who can help you. Make sure they don't rip you off. I see a lot of SA companies charging huge coin when realistically, it can be done for so much cheaper.

If you can't find someone, subscribe to a SEO site or purchase a SEO guide to help you through it.

The easiest way to get backlinks (that count) is the following:

- Guest Blogging (writing articles related to your field/website/product)
- Blog commenting (helpful to get visitors and leave links to your website)
- Social media (getting your friends and family to like your pages/posts)
- Press Release marketing

You also need to make sure that your On-page SEO is on spot. Find out what keywords your customers use to search for your product/service and then try to rank them in Google.

Also, if your a physical business - Pizza Palor, Beauty Salon, Doctor, Dentist - focus on GOOGLE PLACES.

Re: SEO - The importance of linking? 11 years 3 weeks ago #3401

• Rudi
  • MSB Junior Member
"Content is King". This is now more true than ever. Google doesn't rely on links to rank a page anymore. It looks at the content. Rather have a bunch of new, well written (check spelling, grammar, ease-of-reading, etc). Submit your website to google webmaster tools and let google crawl it. The google webmaster tools portal also has a lot of "hints" and useful information w.r.t. the website(s) that you listed to help you improve it's ranking.

Link building can help, to a degree, if done properly and ethically (don't pay someone todo it, they use blackhat techniques). Yahoo, Bing and most of the other smaller search engines still rely on link building to rank a website.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Empexus

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds