Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How will Walmart's entry into South Africa effect small businesses?

How will Walmart's entry into South Africa effect small businesses? 12 years 10 months ago #1084

• Dylan Phelan
  • Founder of mySmallBusiness.co.za
  • Thank you received: 48
How will the approval of the Walmart / Massmart deal and Walmart's subsequent entry into South Africa effect small businesses in South Africa?

There are been many reports of Walmart having devastating effects on small businesses, especially in South American economies?

How do you think the Walmart deal will effect South African small businesses?
http://www.MSBonline.co.za - Web design, hosting, internet marketing & CRM
http://www.MSBaccounting.co.za - Pastel accounting & bookkeeping services.
http://www.ecohub.co.za - Natural health & wellness
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How will Walmart's entry into South Africa effect small businesses? 12 years 10 months ago #1085

Not quite sure, do we adopt a wait and see attitute ? How will it affect the big retailers?

Re: How will Walmart's entry into South Africa effect small businesses? 12 years 10 months ago #1102

• Colleen Lewis
  • MSB Junior Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I certainly hope that Walmart's entry will benefit consumers. A strong competitor to shake up the smug controllers of retail prices is long overdue. Will it help small businesses? I think that depends on how well our small business sector can meet its requirements. While Walmart has committed to sourcing stuff locally, which could initially boost local SME growth, the challenge will be for those SMEs to sustain their services and keep their prices competitive - not easy in an over-regulated environment with onerous labour laws. Massmart/Walmart also recently announced a commitment to buying from local suppliers who are part of the Raizcorp group of incubators - so if you would like to get into that supply chain, I guess you need to join Raizcorp. Actually, if your business is black-owned, Raizcorp will probably be able to offer you a sponsored placement in one of its incubators. But you will have to go through a fairly stringent selection process in order to get in.

Re: How will Walmart's entry into South Africa effect small businesses? 12 years 10 months ago #1103

• Bryan Casson
  • MSB Junior Member
  • Love Everything Google
  • Thank you received: 1
besides all the controversy, I really like what Walmart has to offer. We need the competition to not only bring down prices but also to up the variety or merchandise being sold.
SEO Expert
casson.co.za| Websites designed for SEO
seocowboy.co.za | SEO Blog

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds