Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Entrepreneurship from a teenager's perspective

Entrepreneurship from a teenager's perspective 13 years 4 months ago #621

• Sakhile Biyela
  • MSB Junior Member
  • That ultimate intelligence is understanding.
  • Thank you received: 3
This is my first post, it is plausible then that I address my very first experiences as an "entrepreneur". I quote the term as I don't fully recognise myself as such, yet.

I believe that an entrepreneur is anyone with the ability to turn an idea into a revenue stream and while I am able to conjure up an entity with an almost positively growing and somewhat sustainable balance-sheet, i cannot fully believe in the rationale.

I seem to have found myself in this position, almost by luck and opportunity, but I guess it is how we exploit the opportunities available to us that we become entrepreneurs. I digress.

I find myself in a position where I am not accomodated well by the environment in my efforts to become the entrepreneur I have spent a lifetime trying to become. This though, is neither a deterrent from the goal nor is it an excuse to "throw in" the ever-available "towel"; instead I find it a neat challenge to overcome the obstacles that will inevitably build me as an entrepreneur.

I do, though, sympathise with the less fortunate youth that come from much bleeker environents than my own. I find the industry very challenging and failure ever-looming in the background. Many an entrepreneur with great ideas, greater than mine even, will be discouraged from participation in this hostile environment. And while I find this this partcular situation great for sifting the determined from the chancers, i cannot shake the feeling that we may be missing out on something truly spectacular out there that just has a low stress threshold.

So how do we rectify this situation and grow this community into one of many entrepreneurs? Do we spoon-feed the young and wet-behind-the-ears or do we throw them off the tree so they learn to fly on their own as does the hawk mother?

I find myself challenged by this question more and more. Is it even my place to give back, yet? I, myself have not been in the industry long enough to offer any kind of advice or leadership to anyone, but maybe my experiences could shed some light on aspirants in their journey.

But where are the Multi-nationals and the large corporates. Yes, flashing out big CSI cheques and programmes may be a good public relations exercise but is there any real development sufficed from it? We hear all the time of CSI-sponsored award winners who get large cash injections to grow their businesses, but is that what we really need. I mean I would love a cash injection of half a million Rand (or US Dollars) in my business, but what will I do with it? I am already plagued by the trickles that we micro-enterprises are blessed with by our loyal and even micro-er...if you allow me word invention for a second, customers.

I don't need any large enterprise to throw wads of cash my way, I'd much rather they redirect a quarter of their customer base my way instead, after all isn't that the lesson we should learn? Because I really don't need once-off pity payments that acknowledge me as a small player in a big field who occasionally needs assistance to rejuvinate his ailing enterprise. I don't need money, I need customers, after all aren't we trying to build sustainable business?

Whatever happened to giving a man a fish net?

So to pull you back from this distorted rant about, well.. I don't really know what I'm complaining about but as a South African I find it easier to do than making a change myself. Just a joke! But not really. I think my point at the end of the day is that I joined this forum to connect with other entrepreneurs that I can learn from rather than do business with. Because before I am successful, I want to be educated.

I look forward to sharing with the society here but my question is, while all the established entrepreneurs are here, growing through engagement and participation, where are the entreprenuers we were yesterday and how can we help them join this discussion?
Sakhile Biyela
Director
Khilele's Computing Solutions cc
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last Edit: 13 years 4 months ago by Sakhile Biyela. Reason: corrections to the title
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marie-Louise Nielsen, Nkateko Mafada, siphiwe

Re: Entrepreneurship from a teenager's perspective 13 years 4 months ago #643

• Dylan Phelan
  • Founder of mySmallBusiness.co.za
  • Thank you received: 48
Hi Khilele

Thanks for joining.
my question is, while all the established entrepreneurs are here, growing through engagement and participation, where are the entreprenuers we were yesterday and how can we help them join this discussion?

I would not say that 'all the established entrepreneurs are here'. Many of our members are just starting up and need guideance from the seasoned entrepereneus on the site. One of the main objectives of the site is to bring together those that are just starting out in business together with those that have already started successful businesses. We are currently working hard to engage those that are just starting out, particularly the youth - even if they are still years away from starting businesses. This website can help them develop a good 'business mindset' so that when they do come of age and are ready to start businesses we will have contributed to them being equipped with the necessary skills.

If you have any suggestions on how we can engage the youth then please join the MSB Guidance Council group.

Dylan
http://www.MSBonline.co.za - Web design, hosting, internet marketing & CRM
http://www.MSBaccounting.co.za - Pastel accounting & bookkeeping services.
http://www.ecohub.co.za - Natural health & wellness

Re: Entrepreneurship from a teenager's perspective 13 years 4 months ago #644

• Sakhile Biyela
  • MSB Junior Member
  • That ultimate intelligence is understanding.
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Dylan, my comments weren't directed at this forum in particular but I appreciate the fact that you take the time to engage with the forum members and try to create solutions to the problems we raise, because at the end of the day that is the role of the entrepreneur...to create solutions for the people. I will definetely join the Council and hope to engage with more of your type of individuals.

Sakhile
Sakhile Biyela
Director
Khilele's Computing Solutions cc
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.662 seconds