Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Offering Value to your users

Offering Value to your users 13 years 1 week ago #895

• Guy
  • MSB Junior Member
Creation of a website that allows user interaction leads to very specific challenges. Spam definition is a major part of the challenge.

Over definition of spam leads to reduced input by users. Users like to see their information published. It is my opinion that many web masters have a desire to benefit themselves and a fear of benefiting others more.

Defining spam should or could be as simple as saying no links in any posts and if that is the rule then do not expect people that will write great content to add to your website.

Shouldn't a rule be written that says. No Advertising products or services is allowed. Links to websites are allowed and encouraged if the link creates or adds value to an article that is above and beyond advertising.

Should some write an article giving great advice to the users of a site and a link is included for reference value or as an example surely that does not qualify as advertising.

On my own business Index I solicit articles that add value. I will publish anything that is not perceived to be advertising with any links kept intact. It is my belief that this is the least I can do, for anyone that writes unique unpublished valuable content.

Defining unique content is easy. If it has been written specifically for the website and has not been published elsewhere it is unique. Unpublished is self explanatory.

Valuable is defined by the content. A how to to something article with definite advice is valuable. An article introducing a revolutionary or new product has value only if the article helps the reader to understand why the product is good, ie an introduction to new technology, to changes in technology written about the technology or product not an advert for a business saying we have released a new model.

Let's put this in perspective. An announcement from GWM that they have upgraded their bakkie range would be a thinly disguised advert. A review and testers opinions on the new GWM bakkie would be an article.

Valuable content is worthy of recognition and return value. On my site the latter would be posted with links to all contributors including a link or two in the body text. The first example would not be published.

The latter adds value to my website, the former does not. In the latter example I am happy to add value for the writer. Deleting links does not add value, because some links add value because of context.

Spam is not always easy to control, but judicious use of moderation and software has eliminated 90% of my spam problems.

No follow links in a signature have no value to anyone.
Last Edit: 13 years 1 week ago by Guy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Offering Value to your users 13 years 1 week ago #900

Hey thanks for sharing this nice info. However, this post seems more focused on link building than the said topic "Offering Value to your users". Not sure how do follow link in signature add value to your customers. Seems you have messed a good post with wrong topic.

Re: Offering Value to your users 13 years 1 week ago #901

• Guy
  • MSB Junior Member
In the case above the customer is the content provider. I am the customer and am not getting value for my inputs. Why would I be creating content to benefit the website with no value to me. A link is minimal value, yet it makes the internet go round.

I offer value to the website, thus the website should offer value to me, the User.

Re: Offering Value to your users 13 years 1 week ago #902

• Dylan Phelan
  • Founder of mySmallBusiness.co.za
  • Thank you received: 48
bizza wrote:
I am the customer and am not getting value for my inputs.

Not getting value for your inputs? Then you are missing the point of MSB.

Give good advice to other small business owners - business comes to you.

Contribute valuable information (articles, forum posts, resources) to this website - it is then shared with a large database of small business owners via our newsletters, this all links to your profile page, where you can advertise your products and services.

Get answers to your business questions - no need to pay business / tax consultants.

If links are the only value that you are looking for, then you have come to the wrong place.

A link is minimal value, yet it makes the internet go round.
Links will stay NO FOLLOW - we do not want to attract amateur SEO's looking for a quick backlink.

Certain links within articles or forum posts are acceptable and I agree that we do need to have a clearer definition of what constitutes spam.
http://www.MSBonline.co.za - Web design, hosting, internet marketing & CRM
http://www.MSBaccounting.co.za - Pastel accounting & bookkeeping services.
http://www.ecohub.co.za - Natural health & wellness

Re: Offering Value to your users 13 years 1 week ago #904

• Guy
  • MSB Junior Member
Fair enough, I will offer my value elsewhere

Re: Offering Value to your users 12 years 11 months ago #990

• jackysouer
  • MSB Junior Member
it is crucial to offer value to users.

you can see a good example of this on many sites, one i recently noticed was izzonet, they offer $50 google adwords and say a private representative from google will help you set up the campaign, and this is just for your email!

thats how much value is needed sometimes. but not let it scare you, just think what your customer wants and give it to them

Re: Offering Value to your users 12 years 10 months ago #1138

• Bryan Casson
  • MSB Junior Member
  • Love Everything Google
  • Thank you received: 1
bizza wrote:
Fair enough, I will offer my value elsewhere
Good idea... most websites will not give you the valuable link until you earn it. There are some sites out there that do not care about their link juice but they usually get flogged with spammers with meaningless content. The decision to keep the links nofollow is a good one, maybe once someone has contributed 100 posts of so to the forum then that nofollow link can be removed but that is still up to the owner of the forum. Yes the forum most likely values your input and help but there are many others that will give advice to show their knowlege on the subject and not necessarily get a link. If the advice you offer is good then someone will follow your link and contact you, in turn you get the value back. (I have been contacted 4 times already from this site so I say the value is excellent)
SEO Expert
casson.co.za| Websites designed for SEO
seocowboy.co.za | SEO Blog
Last Edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Bryan Casson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dylan Phelan

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds