Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Pleasure of serving

The Pleasure of serving 11 years 6 months ago #3036

• Martin
  • MSB Junior Member
It is said that it is more rewarding to give than to receive. Do not get me wrong – I like getting just as much as the next guy, but have you given as much as the next guy? You watch programmes like “Secret Millionaire” and “Extreme Makeover” and you are just wowed… “Well, they have the resources to give,” you might say. True, they do have abundance to give away which is maybe less than their monthly interest, but it is what the act of giving does to them that I want to focus on.

We all give every single day, and it can be converted to a monetary value if you really want, but it is not the “value” I want to emphasise – rather the attitude behind it. Your attitude is directly proportional to the value of your service. So what defines service?

To work for
To be a servant to
To prepare and offer (food, for example), serve tea, coffee
To place food before (someone), wait on, serve guests a wonderful dinner
To provide goods and services for (customers); a hotel that serves tourists
To supply (goods or services) to customers, sales, repairs

Yes, we all do it every single day, even bees do it (not too sure about educated fleas), but we all serve in some form or capacity every single day. To be given the opportunity to serve is one that should not be taken lightly. As attitude is directly proportional to the value of your service, so the reverse is true, the value of your service is largely dependent on your attitude.

Let’s take sales for example. If you’re still in the frame of mind that you’re selling this great product then you’re still a bit stuck in history team. Your customers know what they want before they even reach you, so what do you need to do? Take that vibrant, positive attitude and add value to your product with a great service!

The important factor is attitude. Your great attitude will not only improve your life significantly, but also all the people you interact with – that is serving.

I read on the Internet yesterday, an article about the power of “Thank You”. It was about a woman who got her absolute dream job, succeeding while the other interviewed candidates did not. It wasn’t because she was so much more qualified, because she wasn’t. It wasn’t because she was so much more connected, because she wasn’t.

It wasn’t because of what she knew or who she knew. It was because she sent a simple Thank-You card to the interviewers. She showed her appreciation and it not only changed her life, but also the attitude of those to whom she showed appreciation. Why not try it! That character change is critical to fully understanding and displaying genuine leadership. And that kind of leadership begins and ends with serving others. Once you begin to experience leadership in that way — you never want to return to the dog-eat-dog approach of our society.

Martin T. Brown
CEO, Managing Director

"Sanlam / Business Partners Entrepreneur of the Year® 2010 SME Award"
"Inseta Business Leadership Award - 2011"
"SEDA Most Promising Job Creating Entrepreneur - 2011"
"SEDA Most Promising Entrepreneur with a Disability - 2011"
"Sanlam / Business Partners Entrepreneur of the Year® 2012 Finalist"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The Pleasure of serving 11 years 5 months ago #3101

• Michelle
  • MSB Junior Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Martin wrote:
Your great attitude will not only improve your life significantly, but also all the people you interact with – that is serving.

I agree. It all boils down to attitude; there have been (and there will be) great talents that are wasted because people throw in their bad attitude at work, school - thinking that they are the kings and queens of the world. I think the same goes for leadership. Leadership is service, anyway.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds