Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Chapter 1: You Need to Get Connected

Chapter 1: You Need to Get Connected 12 years 6 months ago #1926

Have you ever wondered what makes successful people successful? Believe it or not, connecting to the right people, has been important for success in life.

There is a belief that each person on this planet is connected to one another through no less than six people. There have been studies and even television shows dedicated to that theory.

Several years ago, when I was working at a television network, the President encouraged us to come up with our own mission statement. One of my self-defined statements read: “Mentoring my way, reducing six degrees to two or three.” When I wrote that statement, I had in mind developing relationships that would lead me to greatness as well as assist me in helping others do the same. For as long as I can remember, I’ve always been a relationship builder. While I haven’t always fared well in the area of romantic encounters, even as a teenager, my mother constantly told people that I “never meet a stranger”. Raised in a strict religious environment, I attended conventions on a regular basis, where people gathered from all parts of the country. An avid volunteer, I met people from near and far and maintained contact with them. Something about me connected with just about every person I met and made it easy for people to speak with me. However, in high school, I was not one of the “cool kids” or even that popular. Years later, I have worked in the music and television industries and now, in my career as radio host and freelance writer, I interact with people whom I have watched on television, heard on the radio and whom I admire from afar. How did that happen?

While it was not an overnight transition, I do believe there were some key components that taught me the value of relationships and how to develop them. More valuably, the importance of setting boundaries and constantly evaluating those who I allow to be members of my “circle of influence.”

In these financially challenging times, many people have varied skill sets and still find themselves unemployed. What they need most is an opportunity to showcase their talents to the right people. How can you make that happen?

This e-book is NOT about making contacts. For those of you who are old enough to remember what a rolodex is, think of it this way: Would you rather have hundreds of pieces of paper organized with names and telephone numbers of people who have the potential to help you reach your goals OR would yourather have the direct cell phone number to just ten people who have access to those people and will get a response in a matter of minutes?

This e-book IS about how to meet the people who will get your foot in the door and beyond. Consider this a starting point in your personal plan to building successful relationships. It is written to provide real life examples, based on my personal experiences in an effort to help the reader get connected to those who could greatly impact your future.

The lessons derived from the stories contained within will significantly reduce your circle of influence from six degrees of separation from every human on earth to two or three when consistently applied over time.

While most of the advice will contain specific examples from the entertainment industry, it is information that can be used no matter your path to success. I offer you an insider’s look into principles and techniques that have worked for me. In no particular order, what follows are what I believe to be key contributing factors to my success.

Some of the stories and the lessons learned in them are the same, only expressed differently. However, each story is unique in that it is true and it happened to me. Each approach is different, although hinged on several basic principles.

As you read this book, please keep in mind that common sense and manners go a long way. I’ve heard countless horror stories of people wanting to get a foot in the music or television industry who have been rude or even disrespectful in their approach.

It is my belief that no one should work a job just because they have to pay the bills. It is my belief that each of us was created to do something so incredibly great, that it would not get accomplished if we did not do it. It is my belief that if we pursue our life’s passions, we will enjoy a quality life and improve the lives of those around us in the process.

For Chapter 2 please visit www.insidewomanmag.com
Last Edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Dominick Segoatle.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds