Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What data connection options do I have for a data center?

What data connection options do I have for a data center? 11 years 7 months ago #2866

Hi,

In the future, I'd like to set up a data center. The purpose is to increase my servers as my business grows.

For this data center, what options do I have for a dedicated, high bandwidth data connection?

My business is located in Parys, Free State. It's just off the N1. I assume there is a fiber cable close by. Or rather close enough to make a cost effective connection.

I know that Hetzer uses MTN as their service provider. According to their website, they have fibers from their center to MTN.

This is completely new to me. Where can I start to research this subject (do my homework)?

Regards,
Francois
Removes website frustrations. www.ezywebsites.co.za
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What data connection options do I have for a data center? 11 years 7 months ago #2890

• Tim the Techxpert
  • MSB Junior Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Francois, Thanks I have asked my colleagues to look at this.
May need more information such as the exact location of your proposed Data Center.

I will get back to you.

Tim

Re: What data connection options do I have for a data center? 11 years 7 months ago #2892

• Tim the Techxpert
  • MSB Junior Member
Hi Francois,
As I suspected my colleagues would like a bit more information.

Could you answer the following:

• What size bandwidth will be needed to run the applications
• Will VOIP be needed over the same link, if so how many seats or will a PBX be installed
• What is the GPS or physical address of the location

Thanks

Tim

Re: What data connection options do I have for a data center? 11 years 7 months ago #2935

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply and sorry I didn't reply earlier.

At this stage I'll give the best possible answer, since I'm in a very early stage of doing my homework.

1. When I looked at Hetzer, I saw that their smallest dedicated server offers a 100G bandwidth. I think that I'll need 100G per server. In my raw plans, I want to start out with 40 servers. That gives a total of 4000G for the centre.
2. Nope, no VOIP. Voice communication will be separate.
3. Since we don't need GPS's in our small town, getting the coordinates is somewhat of a challenge. Here is a link to Google Maps showing two possible sites.

Cnr Bree and Phillip str, Parys.
maps.google.co.za/maps?saddr=-26.898363,...rsp=0&sz=17&t=m&z=17

Farm Koedoesfontein, R53
maps.google.co.za/maps?saddr=-26.826732,...ft&mrsp=0&sz=16&z=16

Thanks again,
Francois

Re: What data connection options do I have for a data center? 11 years 7 months ago #2937

• Tim the Techxpert
  • MSB Junior Member
Hi Francois,
Let me pass the info on and we will get back to you.

Thanks

Tim

What data connection options do I have for a data center? 11 years 3 weeks ago #3410

• Rudi
  • MSB Junior Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Francois, to do something like this in South Africa is VERY expensive. So, if you have the cash, here's what you'll need:

1. Security - physical. i.e. a well security premises. Armed response, CCTV, Alarms, biometric scanners, etc.
2. Temperature and climate control. I can't stress this enough. Your server's longevity depends on it.
3. Monitoring. Both for the servers, network, security, etc.
4. Bandwidth - this is what you asked about. Generally you would start off with a "pipe" from an upstream provider. This can be had in two types: speed or capacity. If you think about capacity, i.e. 100GB per server then you still need to figure out what speed the pipe needs to terminate at, in order to work optimal. Normally one would get a 5Mb/s or 10Mb/s pipe from an upstream provider and then segment the traffic accordingly to each server. Ideally you'd want at least 2 pipes from 2 different vendors for routing and redundancy.
Then, depending on where your DC is, and where the upstream provider's POP's are, you would either run a copper, fibre line, or wifi link to / from them. I don't know who operates in the Free State so I can't make any recommendations, but chances are that you would need to look at Neotel, IS, Mweb and possibly MTN / Vodacom. SAIX might also have something in your area. EOH *might* also operate in your area.
Lastly you would need IP addresses but the upstream will include this in the service.
I guess you already have decent firewalling in place but you may also need to look at routing if you use 2 upstream providers, to ensure reliability in case of failure on either link.

P.S. how do I "un-thanks" a post? I identically clicked on the "Thanks" button above and didn't want to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Francois du Toit

What data connection options do I have for a data center? 11 years 3 weeks ago #3412

Hi Rudy,

Thanks a million. You gave me the answers I wanted.

Parys is so close to Gauteng, so I'll maybe go for a JHB based service provider.

Dark Fiber Africa (DFA) are busy to install a fiber cable on the 'sidewalk' in front of my property. That cable connects in Vereeniging to the larger Gauteng network. I assume this is ideal for the connection between myself and the provider.

According to one of the engineers on the project, Vodacom will be DFA's main client who uses that line.

A question: Do you do consulting work on projects like this, or do you know of someone who does? If not, where would I start looking for an experienced consultant?

Francois

What data connection options do I have for a data center? 11 years 2 weeks ago #3423

• Rudi
  • MSB Junior Member
Hi Francois,

What I meant with "close" to you, is you need a connection within a few kilometered of your datacenter otherwise it gets really expensive.

I do consulting like this, so give me a shout if you need anything else

What data connection options do I have for a data center? 10 years 11 months ago #3484

• Trevor Garbett
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Francois,

Hope your well.

a rather late post, but i would like to know the route you have taken?

if you are still looking, i have easier alternative, Cost is less, easy to manage. I would like to ask a couple of questions,

Look forward to your reply.
Last Edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Trevor Garbett.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds